According to the University Polices for Student Life, suspension refers to "a separation from the university for a number of academic semesters or until certain conditions are met." This means that you are not eligible for privileges like a meal plan, access to student facilities (e.g., War Memorial and McComas Gyms), parking passes, or Virginia Tech student season tickets for athletic events.

While you are on suspension from the university, we encourage you to take the time to seek the resources and support you need in order to return to the university and complete your degree.

Questions regarding your suspension and time away may be directed to

Parents of students under 21 will be notified of suspensions resulting from either alcohol or drug related offenses.

Information for Recently Suspended Students

Students have two official records with the university: academic and disciplinary. Written and audio records of all conduct proceedings involving students are maintained in the Student Conduct office for five years from the date of incident.

For the most part, the information in a student’s academic and disciplinary records are separate. The only time disciplinary action is noted on a student’s academic record is when they have been suspended or if they have been dismissed from the university. Notations involving suspension can be removed from the academic transcript after the suspension period has passed at the written request of the student.

For suspended students living on campus

Please be advised that you must check out of your residence hall 48 hours after your conduct decision is final. If you make an appeal, your appellate officer will designate a revised deadline for move out. If you do not make an appeal, this means 48 hours after your appeal deadline you must move out. Check-out is completed when the room condition form and room keys have been received by the Housing & Residence Life or your area office. Please consult with your resident advisor or residential area office regarding appropriate check-out procedures. Failure to check-out properly could result in administrative fees. If you have questions about checking out, consult your resident advisor or call 540-231-6205.

Information regarding course registration, financial aid, and tuition

While you are on suspension there will be a notation on your transcript that indicates you have been suspended by university action. Student Conduct will notify the director of student accounts to make any adjustments/refunds that are applicable. Student Accounts will determine any financial adjustments, if any, by the date of the incident, not the date of suspension. Students should note that a suspension may result in the removal of some forms of financial aid and scholarships. For more information regarding financial aid, visit the Financial Aid website or call 540-231-5179.

Questions regarding tuition and room/board fees should be directed to the University Bursar. For information regarding university refund policies, visit the Resignations and Reduced Course Loads section of the University Bursar website or feel free to call 540-231-6277.

During the period of suspension, a temporary notation stating "Suspended by university action’" will be placed on the transcript. All courses in progress during the semester in which the suspension is imposed will be removed from the transcript and will not be reflected on the document. There will be a gap in the semester sequence of the transcript.

Career Services

Career Services is available to meet with currently enrolled Virginia Tech students. If you are interested in meeting with a career advisor, you can call and set up an appointment. While you are away on suspension, we encourage you to volunteer or seek out an internship. You cannot take classes for academic credit, but you can use this time to research a future career or volunteer in your local community. For more information regarding Career Services, visit the Career Services website or call 540-231-6241.

Returning to Virginia Tech after a Suspension

When you plan to return to the university you will need to refer to your original decision letter you received. You will not need to reapply to the university, but you will be required to complete a re-enrollment meeting with a Student Conduct staff member. In some cases re-enrollment may require permission of the director of Student Conduct. During the re-enrollment meeting, a Student Conduct staff member will go over all appropriate paperwork and review your applicable educational sanctions. Once the duration of the suspension has concluded and you have completed all your sanctions, you may request that the notation "suspended by university action" be removed from your transcript. Failure to do so will impede your ability to register for classes and receive the information you’ll need to make a successful return.

If you return to the university, your suspension will still be a part of your disciplinary record. This means, if you find yourself in trouble again, the fact that you were previously suspended for a disciplinary matter could impact subsequent sanctioning.

Not Returning to Virginia Tech?

If you choose not to return to Virginia Tech, please contact Student Conduct and follow the University Registrar’s procedures for withdrawing from the university. This may prevent future communication being sent to you regarding re-enrollment and course registration.